Requirements for Snowmobiling in Vermont

State Registration:
All snowmobiles, not legally registered in another state or province must be registered in Vermont. If you are already registered in your home state or province, you do not need to
re-register in Vermont, but you must join a local club and purchase a VAST TMA (see below).

Registration costs
$25 for a Vermont Resident and $32 for a Non-Vermont Resident.
Price subject to change without notice.

TMA Requirement
A TMA (Trail Maintenance Assessment/Trail Pass) must be purchased from a club and displayed according to Vermont law. TMA’s can only be purchased from a club’s membership chairperson and many local businesses.

2015 Trail Pass (TMA) Info


Your snowmobile must have a current DMV registration before you can purchase your TMA and you need insurance to ride. You can register through the Vermont DMV here.

(appox. $15.00)

Reduced pricing through December 15, 2014


(Must purchase two TMAs at the regular price before you qualify for the reduced family rate.  All
sleds must be registered to the same person at the same address in order to qualify).

(Snowmobile must be registered in Vermont and a paid Vermont tax bill presented in order to qualify)

(Must purchase two TMAs at the regular price before you qualify for the reduced family rate. All sleds must be registered to the same person at the same address in order to qualify).


(Must purchase two TMAs at the regular price before you qualify for the reduced family rate. All sleds must be registered to the same person at the same address in order to qualify).


TMAs in the Mad River Valley are available at:

Kenyon’s Store
3337 Main Street
Waitsfield, VT 05672
(802) 496-3922

The Duxbury Country Store
2542 Vermont Rt 100
Waterbury, VT 05676
(802) 244-7546

Choose the TMA that is right for you:

  • Regular Snowmobile TMA – a snowmobile that is less than 15-years old!
  • 3-Day Pass TMA – Any Resident or Non- Resident may purchase a 3-day pass. The 3-day pass is not subject to the “Early Bird” program. The price of a 3-day pass DOES NOT include liability insurance as part of the price.
  • Family Snowmobile TMA– All snowmobiles must be registered to the same person, with the same mailing address. TMAs purchased for the first and second snowmobiles must be a Regular Snowmobile TMA, all subsequent snowmobiles registered to the same individual, with the same mailing address, are eligible for Family TMAs.
  • Antique Snowmobile TMA – Any snowmobile that is 25-years old and that is registered as an antique snowmobile by Vermont or any other state or province.
  • (Snow­mobiles legally registered as Antiques must be used exclusively in exhibitions, parades and public functions. Antique TMAs sold only through the VAST office.)

Insurance Requirement
All individuals operating a snowmobile in Vermont on the statewide snowmobile trails
system, shall have a liability insurance policy or bond in the amounts of at least $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $10,000 for damages to property in any one accident. Persons caught operating a snowmobile without the required liability coverage are subject to large fines.



Click for safety class schedule

Safety Course Requirement
A six-hour safety course must be completed and passed by anyone born after July 1, 1983.

Certified safety course
Individuals 12 years of age or older must have taken a certified safety course and carry that certification with them to be presented upon demand of a law enforcement officer.

Age Requirements for Operating a Snowmobile in Vermont

12 or older born after July 1, 1983
The operator must take and pass an approved snowmobile safety course.
The safety certificate must be carried when operating and presented on demand of an enforcement officer.

13 to 15+
The operator may operate on the SSTS and may cross a public road or highway.
While traveling across or on a plowed public highway individual must be directly supervised by an adult, at least 18 years of age.

The operator may operate on the SSTS and may cross a public road or highway.
The operator must be under direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older at all times.

8 to <12* Eight years of age, but not yet 12
The operator is exempt from taking a safety course.
May operate a snowmobile on the VAST trail system without taking the safety course as long as they are under the direct supervision of a parent or legal guardian who accepts full liability for the child’s actions.
The child is not allowed to operate a snowmobile on or across a plowed public right-of-way.

0 to <8 Children under the age of eight
May not operate a snowmobile on the VAST trail system at any time.

*8 – 11 year olds may attend a snowmobile safety course but will not be tested or receive certification unless they will be 12 years old on or before the last day of the snowmobile season (April 15).

† “Certified Operators” 16 years of age and older may operate without supervision.

Operating the Snowmobile
Speed You must operate your snowmobile at a speed that is reasonable and prudent, taking into consideration current conditions, trail traffic and other hazards present on the trail. Vermont Law, Title 23, Chapter 29

The maximum speed limit on state lands is 35 m.p.h. The use of radar on snowmobile trails is becoming a standard practice. With the use of hand held radar guns, the enforcement of speed limits that are imposed on all state lands, has increased dramatically.

Snowmobiles are subject to posted speed limits on public roads open to snow­mobile traffic.

Snowmobiling While Intoxicated (SWI) Vermont has a tough SWI law. This law covers both drugs and alcohol. While you will be charged with SWI on the VAST trail system, intoxicated snowmobilers operating on a public highway will be charged with DWI. As a result of this violation, you will be assessed points and your driver’s license will be suspended.

A frozen lake is considered a public highway and the maximum speed limit is 50 m.p.h.

If you are involved in an accident, resulting in personal injury, death or property damage in excess of $500, it is your duty to stop and report it to local authorities. You must give your name, address, registration number and the name of the owner of the snowmobile to the party whose person or property is injured. You must also file an accident report with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours.

Your Snowmobile Equipment Requirements

  • Headlight
  • Red rear light
  • Windshield free from jagged or sharp edges
  • Fully functional brake in good condition
  • Colored lens covers on headlights are illegal.
  • Windshields are mandatory or the operator must wear eye glasses, goggles or a protective face shield.

Helmets are mandatory for all riders on the VAST trail system.
Exhaust Systems
Efficient muffler and such other equipment and devices as may be required to meet the noise level specifications of not more than 73 decibels on the A scale at 50 feet in a normal operating environment.
Replacement Exhaust System
It is against Vermont law to sell a replacement exhaust system that exceeds the manufacturer’s original equipment specifications. Violation of this law will result in a fine of $500 for the snowmobile operator and a $500 fine for the person selling the illegal exhaust system. No by-pass of a muffler system is allowed. Sound pollution annoys many individuals and threatens the future of our sport.